New Book to be Published by the RCHS
- The Shropshire Union Canal: From the Mersey to the Midlands and Mid-Wales by Peter Brown
- For details of the special price until 31st October go to Shop or Click Here for Details
- The book launch event was held at the CRT's Ellesmere Depot on Saturday 13th October 2018
- Copies of the book already ordered will be sent out in the days following the launch.
WM & NW Group Events not included in the September Bulletin
- There is an WM & NW walk and 1 WM event scheduled for October for which information is available additional to that included in the current Bulletin.
- Thurs 25th Oct (Update) - Caldon Canal; Hazelhurst to Baddeley Green. Details for this walk have been updated. Click Here for details.
- Sat 27th Oct (New) - A visit to view the changes at Bromsgrove Station and the Lickey Incline. Click Here for details
NW Group Pre-Christmas Lunch
- This year's annual NW Group Pre-Christmas Lunch will be held on 6th December 2018.
- For details of the venue, menu choices and arrangements for reservations click NW Group Pre-Christmas Lunch
Members Only Pages on the Website - Important Update (29th Sept 2018)
- Update: The Road Transport SIG page now includes Newsletters for the period April 2010 - June 2018.
- Six of the SIGs (Waterways History Research, Railways History Research, Early Railways, Railway Chronology, Modern Transport and Air Transport) now offer access to their recent and historical output.
- Note that for the Modern Transport SIG, all publications to date are now on the website.
- The Air Transport SIG page now includes all Newsletters from July 2011 onwards
- For the remaining two SIGs, the latest publications (Newsletters, etc) have been added to the previously available publications. Other previous publications will be added over the next few weeks.
- RCHS Bulletin 475 (Sept2018) is now available on the website. Both this and previous issues of the Bulletin are available on the Members Pages.
Award for Author of Book Published by RCHS
- Richard Byrom has been awarded the AIA Outstanding Scholarship Award for his book on William Fairbairn
- William Fairburn - the experimental engineer is published by the RCHS - click here for more details of the book
- For more information on the award given to Richard click Peter Neaverson Award Press Release 2018
Advance Notice: 2019 AGM Weekend: Thursday 25th - Monday 29th April 2019
- The 2019 AGM Weekend will be based at the Abbey House Hotel, Furness Abbey, Barrow-in-Furness.
- The advance notice may be accessed from the Events menu above or by the link: 2019 AGM Weekend
- Please Note: the dates for the weekend do not coincide with the 2019 May Bank holiday.
Papers from the Early Railways Conference (ER6)
- The Subscription List for this publication was to close on 15th October 2018, but will remain open a little longer – so, order now whilst the list remains open.
- For details Click Here or see 'Early Railways Conference' in the Events Menu above
2018 AGM Weekend: Report on the weekend's activites
- As usual there was a full programme of activities over the weekend of the 2018 AGM
- A report on these activities was published in the July Bulletin (#474)
- Non-members may view the report though the Events Menu (above) or through the link: 2018 AGM Weekend Report
- Members may view the 2018 AGM Agenda & Minutes through the Members Pages link above
Bibliography of Inland Waterway Transport History
- Grahame Boyes has recently prepared a Bibliography of Periodical Literature of Inland Waterway Transport History
- This can be accessed using the Publications tab above or using the link: Bibliography of Inland Waterway Transport History
2018 Clinker Memorial Lecture has been Cancelled
- Due to unforeseen circumstances the 2018 Clinker Memorial Lecture has been cancelled
- It will be re-arranged for a date in 2019
2018 RCHS Transport History Book of the Year Awards
- The Transport History Book of the Year award ceremony took place on Friday 4th May during the 2018 AGM Weekend
- For details of the awards for 2018, together with the judges' comments, please use the Book Awards tab above.
Welcome to the RCHS Website
For a summary of our activities, please see the 'About Us' menu above.
Please see important announcements re Regional Group Events (below left) during October
Bulletin 475 (Sept2018) is now available in the Members Pages. For login assistance please contact: email@example.com
For other problems or comments on the website, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Future Events (Walks & Talks)
- Dadford Canal Builders (Paul Dadford)
- 20th October 2018
- Caldon Canal: Hazelhurst Junction to Stockton Brook & Baddeley Green
- 25th October 2018
- Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2AA
- Bromsgrove Revisited
- 27th October 2018
- Into the jaws of death
- 29th October 2018
- Talk: Railways of the Harz Mountains (Ian Mainprize)
- 2nd November 2018
- Life in a Railway Community
- 3rd November 2018
- Langwith Junction revisited (walk)
- 8th November 2018
- Britain's Railway Policy: From Post War Closures to the Policies of Today
- 10th November 2018
- Manchester, M2 5NS
- Dadford Canal Builders (Paul Dadford)