History of the RCHS

The Railway & Canal Historical Society was formed at a meeting in Preston in 1954.

For reflections after 25, 40 and 50 years use the following links:

The first 25 years:  RCHS at 25

The first 40 years:  RCHS at 40

The first 50 years:  RCHS at 50

The NW Group was formed in 1954. The RCHS Journal published a report on its first year. For extracts from the Journal and an editorial note by Roger Taylor use the link below:

NW Group: the first year