Loading Map....

Date/Time
Date(s) - Thursday 11/06/2026
10.15 - 17.00

Location
Huddersfield Railway Station

Zoom link (when applicable)

Click 'iCal' to add to your Calendar
iCal

Categories


Joint walk with the Huddersfield Canal Society and Railway Ramblers, to mark 25 years since the canal’s reopening following restoration.

The Huddersfield Narrow Canal was authorised by the Huddersfield to Ashton-under-Lyne Canal Act 1794. Construction began that year. The canal was completed in 1811 with the opening of the Standedge Tunnel. The canal was closed in 1944 and, apart from a short stretch in Huddersfield, it was abandoned.

After 27 years of campaigning and restoration, led by Canal Society volunteers, the Narrow Canal was re-opened in May 2001 and gained Royal approval with an official ceremony by HRH Prince of Wales in the September that year.

Meet at Huddersfield Railway Station entrance at 10:15am. Landranger map 110, Explorer 288. Bring a picnic lunch, to eat on the canal-side at Slaithwaite, the 6-mile point, where there are toilet facilities. It is possible to leave the walk here and return either by bus or train. Trans-Pennine trains are available from Marsden Station, where the likely finish time is late afternoon. Check timetables before travelling as there are engineering works taking place between Leeds and Huddersfield on this date.

Level of difficulty – easy though strong footwear is advised as the path can be muddy following rain. Distance 8.5 miles. Walk leaders Jane Ellis and Bill Jagger. Pre-booking is not required.

Standedge Tunnel E portal in 1976 (RCHS Hugh Compton Collection).
Compare this with the later image which shows the restored canal cottage and towpath, and the absence of undergrowth at the tunnel entrance.


Standedge Tunnel E portal in 2004 (Michael Carr).