The main part of the hotel is a neo-Elizabethan H-plan mansion designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and completed in 1914 as a guest house for Vickers Ltd and a flat for the Managing Director, Sir James McKechnie In its abstracted, military echo of the Tudor style, it prefigures the style of Lutyens’ Castle Drogo. Abbey House has been a Grade II* listed building since 1949.